Unlike most bread puddings, this one isn’t sweet. It’s savory and satisfying. The recipe uses the Country Beef Breakfast Sausage recipe that we posted here a couple of days ago. Make sure you pop over and prepare that prior to starting this recipe. This will definitely be a bit of a different breakfast for most of us in the United States but DIFFERENT IS GOOD. ENJOY!
TOTAL TIME: 1 hr 30 min
- 1 recipe Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage
- 1 jar (12 ounces) marinated artichoke hearts
- 8 ounces assorted fresh wild mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces cubed sourdough or French bread, dried
- 1 can (14 to 14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Prepare Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage. Remove from skillet to large bowl; set aside. Drain artichokes, reserving liquid. Coarsely chop artichokes; set aside.
- Basic Country Beef Breakfast Sausage: Combine 1 pound Grass-fed Ground Beef, 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage (or 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage), 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper in medium bowl mixing lightly but thoroughly. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add sausage mixture, cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 1/2-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally.
- Cook’s Tip: Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef. Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F. Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Heat same skillet over medium heat until hot. Stir in mushrooms; cook and stir 4 to 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in artichokes and salt. Add mushroom mixture and bread to sausage mixture.
- Combine broth, milk, eggs and reserved artichoke liquid in medium bowl. Pour over sausage mixture; mix well. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until liquid is absorbed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 9 x 13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place sausage mixture into pan. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake in 350°F oven 40 to 50 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 to 15 minutes until top is golden brown. Sprinkle with green onions.
Recipe and image courtesy of www.BeefItsWhatsForDinner.com. Please see original recipes for nutritional information and exact serving size.
#grassfedbeef #grassfedgroundbeef #organicbeef #organicgroundmeat #athletesrecipe #athleteseatbeef