So many times, when you think grass-fed ground beef you think lunk or dinner. But guess what, you can have it for breakfast too? AND in one of the flavors synonymous with breakfast – SAUSAGE! It’s all about the spices. PLUS you can mix in ground pork if you feel like all beef sausage might not have the same flavor as what you’re used to.
TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes
- 2 lbs ground beef (or 1 lb beef and 1 lb pork) or 2 lbs ground pork (or 1 lb beef and 1 lb pork)
- 3 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt or 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, if desired
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- In large bowl, mix ground meat and spices and herbs.
- In warm water, add brown sugar or splenda and maple syrup if desired. Stir.
- Add to ground meat mixture and mix well.
- Form patties.
- Fry in heavy skillet on medium heat. Brown on both sides.
- Pack each pattie between waxed paper if you freeze. Then reheat in pan or microwave.
This is one of those recipes that you may need to adjust according to your tastes. If you like “spicy” sausage then add crushed red pepper. If you don’t enjoy maple flavored sausage then omit the maple syrup. You get the picture….just make sure you make notes as to what works for you and what doesn’t. Fresh sausage is so much more flavorful and savory than the store purchased ones.
Recipe and image courtesy of www.GeniusKitchen.com.
Please see original recipe for nutritional information and serving size.
#grassfedbeef #grassfedgroundbeef #organicbeef #organicgroundmeat #athletesrecipe #athleteseatbeef